Thursday, February 12, 2009

Random Thoughts

I've been almost entirely consumed by my blog series on gender lately, and I realized that I haven't blogged about anything else really since I started it. I am literally kept awake at night silently crafting my next post. Just goes to show how important this subject is to me!

But there are some random things I would like to share with the blogosphere while I wait for y'all to craft your responses to my interactive post (see below). 

1. My access to the MRU library has been taken away (damn graduation). Which means that I no longer have access to any electronic journals that are not published by the APA. It is driving me CRAZY. Thank goodness I obsessively searched for and downloaded a shitload of articles that are relevant to my grad school hunt and research interests, not to mention the evolutionary psych bullshit that I will eventually get back to once I finish the gender series. And all the print journals I get in the mail from my various memberships have absolutely sucked ASS lately, for some unknown reason. (Except for an article on ambivalence that made me think of Ambivalent Academic, but really - it's not exciting enough for me to post about it.) Either way, it sucks. So if those of you who have access to journals and shit want to send me pdfs of articles you think I might like, please feel free. 

2. I'm in the process of moving back in with my husband, which is a PAIN IN THE ASS. I hate moving. This is compounded by the fact that it is now almost guaranteed that I will be moving again this year, a minimum of 3 hrs away. 

3. Speaking of moving - it is so far looking like grad program choice #4 is where I'll end up. Of course, I've only heard from 2 schools so far. But I feel like if SuperFuckingRockStarHolyShit program #1 rejected me, SFRSHS programs #2 and #3 are likely to reject me as well. Regardless, if I end up at #4, I am facing a halfway cross-country move which I will have to tackle by myself as my husband will be away for the military during that time frame. It's freaking me out. 

4. I am currently suffering from Babies on the Brain syndrome. They are everywhere! I swear, if I went to a strip club, someone would have an infant sitting next to me cooing in my face. The upside of this is that it's making me feel better about the idea of not getting into a single grad program. At least I have options. Though the time frame would still be the same. My plan is to have my first in June of my first year of grad school, so 2010. I know the timing won't work out the way I want it to, but still - that's my goal. But I've become somewhat obsessed with knowing what it's like to have a baby in grad school, and unfortunately the only blogger I know of who has done this hasn't posted in FOREVER. So if you've got stories, please share them!!!

5. Why is it that when I have a million things to do, people are blogging and commenting up a storm, but when I've got diddly-shit going on, the whole blogosphere seems to have disappeared? 

6. The Center for a Commercial Free Childhood annoys the fuck out of me. Mostly because of my job. I won't elaborate, but savvy readers could pretty easily figure out why I'm saying this and the company I work for. (But that won't help you figure out who I am IRL, just FYI.)

7. I hate it when people tag me on facebook in a note (aka a meme) and don't fucking comment on the shit after I put the time in to respond. 

Okay, I think that's it for now. Back to brushing up on my gender reading. :)

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Bleh! Sorry for all the frustration. Though I'm glad to hear that things are going better with husband. Congratulations on moving back in, however annoying moving may be.

If there are specific PDFs that you need, I do have extensive PubMed and WebofScience access...not sure how many of your journals participate, but if you really need some papers, feel free to email me the links and I can see what I can do.

Anonymous said...

for the cross country move, i recommend offering a close friend an all-expense-paid trip across the country if they can find the time off work. we had a friend drive one of the cars and help pack and unpack. we hung out for a few days of rest afterward and bought him a plane ticket home.

we also intended to have a baby in grad school. instead, i got a truckload of devastation. but looking back, and especially looking at my life right now, i'm glad we don't have kids. i mean, really glad.

JLK said...

Thanks, AA! I'll keep that in mind.

@ Leigh - thanks for the advice. As long as I can afford their plane ticket, it's a great idea! I'm very sorry to hear that you had a truckload of devastation. If you want to talk about it, send me an email. I didn't realize that you had shared my intention, and I'm also curious to learn what aspects have made you really glad you didn't make that decision - they are just as important (I think) for me to know as the reasons why it's worked out for people.

PhizzleDizzle said...

nicky at grad ovaries has a new baby and is in grad school...tell her i sent you! she's a computer scientist!!!!! :):)

JLK said...

Thanks, PD! I've added her to my blogroll. :)

Psych Post Doc said...

#3, The correlation between being accepted/rejected into one program and being accepte/rejected to another (especially in your field) is very, very small.

#7, I hate that too! I also tend to stop commenting on other people's blogs if they never respond to the comments. I figure they don't care whether people comment so why bother.

JLK said...

@ Psych - I know the correlation is small, but I still can't shake the thought that I shouldn't get my hopes up. Though I'm taking the fact that I haven't heard from them yet as a good sign, seeing as SFRSHS program #1 seemed to reject me in only the 1st or 2nd round of cuts. And all 3 had the same deadline, so we'll see.

And you'll never have to worry about me not responding to comments - I LIVE for them and obsessively check my email for new ones. LOL

...tom... said...

...

2. I'm in the process of moving back in with my husband, which is a PAIN IN THE ASS.

...smalllol...

A careless reader could take an alternative meaning from that sentence/paragraph..!


7. I hate it when people tag me on facebook in a note (aka a meme) and don't fucking comment on the shit after I put the time in to respond.

All the more reason to ignore that crap. And all the other games, gifts, flair, and on and on ad nauseam.


...tom...
.

JLK said...

...tom...!!! You're back! I was starting to think I'd lost you to greener blog pastures!

You said: "A careless reader could take an alternative meaning from that sentence/paragraph..!"

LOL. And a reader who knows me really, really well or IRL would definitely read that sentence with BOTH meanings. lol

Psych Post Doc said...

You probably have the right attitude to the grad school process. The waiting is the hardest part.

In my own experiences, I received my acceptances in late Feb/early March. And I hadn't heard ANYTHING before that, the waiting sucked.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...