Monday, May 18, 2009

:(

I have had the Mother of All Migraines since 7am this morning. I get migraines like 5-6 times a year, always with aura, but usually taking 2 Aleve at the onset of the aura makes it manageable enough for me to get through the day. 

But not today. Holy shit. I've taken 3 Aleve today because the first 2 didn't work. I've had some caffeine and that hasn't done shit. So I just took a vicodin, which I normally avoid doing, but fuckin-a do I need this thing to go away. 

This particular migraine scared the shit out of me today. My right arm went completely numb for about a half hour and at the same time my speech got all fucked up. I would be thinking the right words, but totally different words were coming out of my mouth. Like I said "computer" instead of "car." I seriously thought I was having a stroke. That has never, ever happened to me before. 

On a brighter note, I've lost 2 inches off my waist and 1.5 inches off my hips since I started the dancing at SciCurious's suggestion. I am now the biggest fan of Zumba that there ever was. I also took Sci's nutrition suggestions so I've been eating like 5 times a day instead of twice with lots of protein. My weight hasn't dropped all that much, but my abs look fantastic! Thanks, Sci!

I haven't heard anything on the job front yet - thank goodness no one called me today while I was practically speaking in tongues. I need this headache to go away so I can do something productive.....

9 comments:

Comrade Physioprof said...

Feel better, JLK!

Hermitage said...

Get thee to a doctor, and I'm not kidding. Do it.

Unknown said...

Yeah, JLK, the fucked up speech patterns are something that should send you to the doc's pronto!!

I also get migraines (yet to have messed up words) but that was definitely something my doc said that I should take seriously if it ever happened. How seriously? Deadly seriously. I hope you feel better soon.

JLK said...

If the speech problem and the numbness had persisted, I would have gone to the ER without a second thought. But they went away, so I'm not about to go to the hospital.

Plus, because I've already taken a vicodin, there's nothing they can do for me. But I'm telling you - when I couldn't speak normally and my hand was numb, I have never been so scared in my entire life.

Unknown said...

Sure, probably no need to head to the ER right now, but seriously, you need to see a doctor about those symptoms as soon as you can get an appointment. I'm not a doctor and I don't want to be alarmist, but you really really shouldn't blow that off. When I was having really bad migraines, my doc had go for an MRI, you know, just in case we're dealing with something like a tumor or an aneurysm. I don't mean to be alarmist, nor could I offer anything like a professional medical opinion, but seriously girl, get yourself checked out. Your brain is pretty valuable.

Psych Post Doc said...

I just want to add my voice to the others, no need to go to the ER but make an appointment.

I have migraines as well and when I had numbing in my hands my doctor was very concerned. Also told my DH that in the future if I have numbing and speech issues he needs to get me to the hospital ASAP. It's not something to mess around with.

Maybe it's also time to get some prescription meds. With the aura, you can usually complete ward off the headache with prescription meds.

Hope you're feeling better.

Toaster Sunshine said...

Disjointed speech and body numbness represents very serious neuropathy. Make an appointment with a neurologist as soon as possible and I do hope you soon begin to feel better.

scicurious said...

Mais oui. Hie thee to a doctor, and get a recommendation to a neurologist.

I hope you feel better! I get 'em all the time. I have a cat that sits and purrs on my chest. Does wonders.

OTOH: yeah, healthy! I told you, weight loss = no. Redistribution to healthy muscle and stuff = yes. Bow to thy nutrition goddess!! :) Soon your abs will rival mine!

Anonymous said...

Long time reader, but I don't think I commented before. However, am delurking, because I have a similar experinece with migraines as you do.

I get a migraine with visual aura about once a month and that is manageable in the same way as you describe (if I take the painkillers at the onset of aura, I'm relatively ok after that). However, I've discovered that I get migraines with numbness in my right arm, right leg and right side of face when I am on any artificial hormones - anything that adds artificial (i.e. not my own) oestrogen or progesterone into my body, produces a migraine with numbness after 5-6 days of starting the treatment. The first time this happened, I thought I had a stroke (almost exactly as you describe) I ran to the ER, had the MRI + all sorts of neurological tests done and they found nothing. It was all down to hormones.

So just a thought for you - did you start/stop a new hormonal treatment lately? That could be the source of this problem. Good luck.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...